Friday, March 6, 2009

Looking into the Teaching Career

I found Steve Chambliss' story and advice interesting. Previous to Monday night, I had never considered pursuing the careers in the educational field beyond teaching, such as principal or superintendent positions. I realize that it is important to continually set goals and strive to achieve to the highest potential, I don't believe that teachers should enter the education field, with their focus on becoming a principal and or superintendent. While I do not believe Mr. Chambliss was promoting this in anyway, I do believe there is a temptation for people to get caught up in the pursuit of attaining higher authority positions and better salaries. The occupation of teacher becomes a stepping stone and may lose its luster, in the process children may be deprived of the education they deserve.

I had also never thought of the value of changing subject areas or grade levels every five or so years as a teacher. I understand the importance of staying fresh and motivated as a teacher, however personally I think changing every five years could be a bit excessive. Maybe, as Dr. Langholz mentioned in class, doing things such as heading a new extracurricular activity or finding other ways to increase one's creativity and rejuvenate oneself as a teacher without making such large changes so frequently. Ultimately, I think it depends on the person and what works for them, maybe every five years is realistic and necessary for some, but maybe not for all.

1 comment:

  1. I also hadn't thought of pursuing careers as principal or superintendent. Though, I still picture myself as a science teacher, I am curious to see where the field of education will take us.

    ReplyDelete